Wednesday, March 9, 2011

swimming

My father introduced me to swimming when I was very young. He once took me and my sister to Vaghji bhaini khadi -- a local pool in our neighborhood in Bombay -- when we were about seven or eight years old. I have a vague memory of that visit -- green pool water, large crowd of people in the water, some with Dalda tin can tied to their waist, friendly screams and shouts of swimmers, my father pushing me and my sister into the water, and the terror we felt at being in the pool. How scared I was of water then! After that experience, I never visited that pool again or any other pool for a long time.

After not so successful first attempt at swimming, I mustered up enough courage in my late teens to give swimming another try. It must have been during a school break after the 10th grade or 12th grade exams that I went to a swim club in Andheri. I can't recall the name of the club anymore, but it was an Olympic size pool with two sections -- one for swimming laps and the other for platform diving. The swim club was offering lessons during summer break, so I signed up for it. I used to take the train in the morning and then walk from the railway station to the pool for lessons. Later, I used to ride my bicycle to the pool from home, but it was a long, excruciating ride. Like any other place in Bombay, the swimming pool was crowded, especially during summer break. There were so many people in the pool that you couldn't take two strokes without running into somebody. So the swim instructors had us place our feet behind a bar that ran across the pool length and practice stationary freestyle stroke! How innovative those instructors were! I didn't learn much about swimming at the Andheri club, but I still have fond memories of that pool. I think I developed interest in swimming at this place. Once I started college, I completely stopped swimming during the four years of college.

After moving to Arizona, I began swimming again. The university had such nice swim facilities -- one in the student recreation center and the other for the school varsity swim team. I took a swim class and learned a bit more about how to coordinate breathing while swimming. I really started to enjoy swimming. I also joined the US Masters Swim program at the university, but realized that I wasn't yet ready for an organized swim program. I left Arizona with an increased appreciation for swimming and hoped that one day soon I could learn to swim better.

After moving to Austin, I found a swim club in my neighborhood and, fortunately, a very fine coach. I consider Jimmy Bynum my first real coach. He taught me the basics of swimming. I sincerely appreciated his patience and willingness to coach me for the two years I swam at his club. He made me realize that I could swim in an organized swim program and develop my skills. I then swam at a few different places in town and learned from different coaches -- each one of them adding something of value to my skill set and increasing my appreciation for swimming.

I currently swim with the Longhorn Aquatics under the guidance of a former Olympian. I enjoy the early morning workouts, no matter how hard they can be on my body. As a matter of fact, my body is still recovering from a strenuous workout this morning. There is something about swimming with a group of fun loving, fitness oriented, disciplined, and hardworking swimmers, at a world class facility under a fine coach, that seems to push me harder in my practice. No matter how sleepy or lazy I may feel about going to the practice, I almost always feel great after the workout. I am always glad and grateful when I can start my day with an early morning swim. The water seems to take away my stress and worries and seems to rejuvenate me with its magical powers. I am definitely in love with swimming now.


I am grateful to my father for introducing me to swimming. I am also grateful to my coaches for helping me enjoy the sport of swimming over the years.

  
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment